Jireh Blessing A. | July 30, 2020
After my previous blog post, I figured it would not make much sense for me to suggest educating yourself and understanding how to support the cause for a change if I did not show you how. So, these are few of my suggestions of what you can do to help and sources to educate yourself.
Supporting the cause
- Join Grassroots Law which has worked tirelessly in the struggle for justice for the black lives murdered at the hands of police brutality by following their socials @GrassrootsLaw on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. You can also volunteer or donate at https://www.grassrootslaw.org.
- Join the Global Movement @BlackLivesMatter on their website https://blacklivesmatter.com where you can sign up for updates, support their work, donate and follow their socials as well to keep in the loop about all that is going on.
Movies/Documentaries/Series to educate yourself
The ones I list below are all available on Netflix and hence easily accessible and can all be found in the Black Lives Matter Category. These are to mention but a few and there are many more even off Netflix.
- When They See Us
- All Day and A Night
- American Son
- Dear White People
- LA 92
- Who Killed Malcom X?
- 12 Years A Slave
- I am Ali.
- Self-Made: Inspired by The Life of Madam C.J. Walker
- Freedom is A Constant Struggle by Angela Y. Davis
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- Biased: The New Science of Race and Inequality by Jennifer Eberhardt
- Brit(ish) by Afua Hirsch
- Me and White Supremacy by Layla F Saad
- How to be an Anti-Racist by Ibram X. Kendi
- The Clap back: Your Guide to Calling Out Racist Stereotypes by Elijah Lawal
I could not possibly be able to finish all materials available to educate not only the white person but the person of colour too. I am glad that we live in an era where people have been forced to have this much needed conversation through movies, series, books, entertainment, debates and much more. There are no more excuses for ignorance. You want answers? Look for them and when you find them, share the knowledge. We can change the world one person at a time!
Excerpts from my blog at http://therollercoastersoflife.wordpress.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR